16 November 2008

Local Decorating

Donny and I have been living together almost a year ago now.  We didn't buy really any new furniture at the beginning.  Mostly little accessories since we were lucky to have a lot of existing pieces that went together nicely.  After much debate we agreed to get a new tv and a dresser for the bedroom.  It was our immediate reaction to go online and see the newest, cool, vintage inspired, modern pieces from DWR, West Elm, Design Public, CB2 and the list goes on.  Having not purchased much bedroom furniture in my lifetime I could not believe how expensive these dressers cost. Anywhere from $500-$1500.  Sure, I could go to Ikea and spend $80 on thin wood, but I want a dresser that will last.  Don't get me wrong, I like Ikea for certain things, but not a dresser.  I started to scour craig's list, but if you've done it before you understand how it can be an exhausting task.  You want to be specific about a design era, but not too specific that filters out a piece you might really like.  Basically I typed in dresser and looked at a hundred pictures of really ornate dressers that I didn't like.  After a lot of searching I was lucky enough to come across this website Modern Search and Design.  They don't have too many pieces on their site, but for my taste they have a great used collection.  I emailed the guy Nick on Saturday morning and by Sunday midday we had a new (to us) metal dresser.  For $300 + a $40 delivery charge, it was totally worth it.  Granted its not straight from the box, I had to wipe it down a bit, but it works really well with our style and nothing new was manufactured.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - the dresser looks great. Are you going to paint it at all or leave it like it is?

Malika said...

I think we'll leave it like that. It looks distressed, which is cool. I like that you don't normally see a metal dresser in a bedroom.

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Blog Design | 2007 Company Name